Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Busy Tuesday!

Tuesday has turned out to be our busiest day. I have ladies Bible Study at a nearby home at 9:00am until 11:am. Joel picks me up and brings me home afterwards and we make lunch and do some clean-up and get Anna, Joshua and Jonathan ready to go to soccer class. We leave at 2:30 and get home between 4:30 and 5pm. Then we have to cook supper by at least 5:45 because on Tuesdays that is when the lights go out. We usually have our family devotions from 6:00 until 6:30 or so and then it is "hide and scare everybody witless" time until 8:00pm when the lights come back on.

Tuesdays, being extra busy, usually has quite substandard food. Usually mac and cheese for lunch and then bread and peanut butter for supper. Well, I would like to say that after 5 (or however many) days of cooking, today we actually had a good lunch and a good supper! The day started out with homemade bread for breakfast. Then at lunch we had baked chicken and rice with green beans. Then supper was goulash. That is 2 real meals in one day! The best we usually do is one real meal in a day and on Tuesdays there usually is no real meal (there is always food; but not a real meal, if you know what I mean). Buying pizza is expensive and there is nothing that really fits the definition of "fast food" here in Lilongwe. So, I am already reaping the rewards of our 5 (or however many) hard (and some not so hard) days of cooking! I think that tomorrow we will have stir fry for lunch and then chicken and rice soup for supper. Oh, and pancakes for breakfast.

Anyone else tempted to try the once a month cooking?

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi! I've been wondering how Jon is feeling--I bet it's nice to not have to worry so much about the cooking during the day.

Darcy said...

Hey! Jon is feeling so much better! I think that the fever tired him out though and he stops and rests quite a bit the last few days.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I forget to check this and find there is so much to catch up on. I read from top (newest) to bottom (oldest) and I like once a month cooking too, as much as I do of it anyway. It's fun to have something mostly ready to eat.